Urs Niggli is one of the world’s foremost agricultural scientists and was the Director of the Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL) until March 2020. Under his leadership FiBL grew from 20 staff to its current 200, became a leading research establishment in the area of organic agriculture, and developed into a European network with offices in Germany, France, Austria and Hungary as well as a representation in Brussels.
- Consultancy for Agroscope, especially on the topics of “European Research Alliance: Towards a Chemical Pesticide Free Agriculture” und “Agroecology Partnership and Living Labs”.
- Member of the Scientific Group of the UN Secretary-General for the preparation of the 2021 Food Systems[C1] Summit in New York.Voluntary strategic activities as chairman of FIBL Austria in Vienna. Trustee of the Hungarian Research Institute of Organic Agriculture ÖMKi in Budapest
- Adjunct Professor at the University of Kassel-Witzenhausen, with lectures on “Principles of Organic Agriculture” in the winter semester and “Fallstudien ökologische Landwirtschaft in der EU” (case studies in organic farming in the EU) in the summer semester.
- Adjunct Professor at the China Agricultural University in Beijing.
- Trustee at Agrovision in Burgrain (Swiss canton of Lucerne).
- Member of the extra-parliamentary Comité National Suisse-FAO.
- Until the end of 2020: Member of the Board of Directors of Easy-Cert, which owns eight different inspection and certification companies.
«In addition to ecologically and socially responsible agriculture my primary focus is also on nutrition. The immense pressure to keep increasing yields for a growing human population can be mitigated if we reduce food waste and feed less grain to livestock. Self-confident farmers are essential for global sustainability and food security.»
Orgprints.org: Publications by Urs Niggli on Organic Eprints